A project to replace the lighting in the gymnasium at the New Hanover County High School went awry last week when the scaffolding malfunctioned. News reports indicate two electricians fell during the project, resulting in injuries to both of the men. Rick Holliday, the deputy superintendent, indicated he received a call regarding the accident in the morning hours of Wednesday, July 1.
Holliday went on to report that the project had been ongoing the entire week with the work being conducted by two school maintenance workers. He reported that the work was finished at the time of the accident but workers were moving some of the gym banners so the new lighting would not be obstructed. While the workers were moving the banners, the scaffolding reportedly malfunctioned causing the two employees to fall.