For Injured

Lawyer For Injured Workers

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » Apply for workers’ compensation payments to cover your lost wages

Apply for workers’ compensation payments to cover your lost wages

On Behalf of | Nov 25, 2015 | Firm News, Workers' Compensation

As an employee working in industry, you have rights in case that you get injured. For example, imagine that you are walking in your workplace when you trip and fall on carpet that has bunched up and not been repaired. You sprained your ankle in the fall, and you now need medical attention. It’s your employer’s responsibility to make sure you get the medical attention you need covered by workers’ compensation.

Most employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance or a private employee insurance carrier. That way, if an employee suffers from an injury, illness, occupational disease or other condition, he or she can see a physician and have his or her care covered by the insurance provider.

When an employee is going to be off work for over a day or will cost over $2,000 in medical fees, the injury needs to be reported to the Industrial Commission, according to the North Carolina Industrial Commission’s website. If you miss over a week of work, that’s when you tend to start receiving workers’ compensation benefits. They usually amount to two-thirds of your average wage from before your injury and continue until the coverage is no longer needed.

When you need long-term care and coverage, that’s when you may be entitled to disability payments. Long-term disability payments for your injury will not amount to the same wages you would have made, but they should be around two-thirds of your yearly income as long as it’s required and you’re seen as being disabled. Our website has more information on workplace injuries and how you can apply for compensation.