Jay Gervasi, P.A. Attorney at Law
Get the help you need today 336-790-0157

Apply for workers' compensation payments to cover your lost wages

As an employee working in industry, you have rights in case that you get injured. For example, imagine that you are walking in your workplace when you trip and fall on carpet that has bunched up and not been repaired. You sprained your ankle in the fall, and you now need medical attention. It's your employer's responsibility to make sure you get the medical attention you need covered by workers' compensation.

Most employers are required to have workers' compensation insurance or a private employee insurance carrier. That way, if an employee suffers from an injury, illness, occupational disease or other condition, he or she can see a physician and have his or her care covered by the insurance provider.

When an employee is going to be off work for over a day or will cost over $2,000 in medical fees, the injury needs to be reported to the Industrial Commission, according to the North Carolina Industrial Commission's website. If you miss over a week of work, that's when you tend to start receiving workers' compensation benefits. They usually amount to two-thirds of your average wage from before your injury and continue until the coverage is no longer needed.

When you need long-term care and coverage, that's when you may be entitled to disability payments. Long-term disability payments for your injury will not amount to the same wages you would have made, but they should be around two-thirds of your yearly income as long as it's required and you're seen as being disabled. Our website has more information on workplace injuries and how you can apply for compensation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Building image

Office Location:
910 North Elm Street
Greensboro, NC 27401

Toll Free: 866-792-9182
Phone: 336-790-0157
Fax: 336-574-2541
Greensboro Law Office Map